By default in Windows 10, the drive letter does not appear until after the hard drive name. With some parameters in the register, we can change the order.
You should also back up all important files, folders and applications before performing the following steps.
If something happens to go wrong, it could damage your operating system.
How to display drive letters first in Windows 10?
1. Recording setting
- Press and hold the Windows + R key.
- There must be a window for you. Course.
- In the startup dialog, write the following: regedit.
- Press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- The shooting editor is displayed. When the User Account Management window prompts you to grant access, left-click or click Yes to continue.
- Locate the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder in the left sidebar and open it by left-clicking or clicking on it.
- In the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder, find the SOFTWARE folder and open it.
- Search for Microsoft in the SOFTWARE folder and open it.
- Now search for Windows in the Microsoft folder and select it.
- In the Windows folder, find the CurrentVersion folder and open it.
- Find and open the Explorer folder in the CurrentVersion folder.
- In the Explorer folder, locate the DWORD ShowDriveLettersFirst. If you cannot find a DWORD, you will need to create one.
- To create a key, right-click or hold down the button in the right sidebar, left-click on a new submenu and select DWORD (32-bit) Value (32-bit).
- After you create it, you need to name it ShowDriveLettersFirst.
- Now double-click on the newly created key to open it, and enter the number 4 in the Value Data field to put all the drive letters in front of the drive names.
- Click the left mouse button or OK to save the changes.
- Close the Registry Editor window and restart your Windows 10 operating system.
After booting the device, open the File Explorer folder to see if the drive letters appear in the desired order.
If you want to change the drive letters and names again, simply go back to the modified DWORD registry directory and set the value back to 0.
Sometimes the registry editor is disabled or there is some other problem that prevents it from opening. If this is the case, check out our special guide and solve the problem with ease.
2. Using the DriveLettersTool
If the idea of modifying the registry doesn’t appeal to you at all, you can download and install a small program called DriveLettersTool.
As the name suggests, this program allows you to modify the Explorer to change the order of the drive letters. Specifically, you have four options to choose from:
- You can use the default drive letter order in Explorer, e.g. B. Local disk (D:).
- For example, the tool can display drive letters before the drive name. B. (D:) Local reader.
- The device can only display network drive letters before the drive name.
- You can completely remove the drive letters
Now you know how to change the position of drive letters in the Windows 10 operating system. If for some reason your hard drive is not showing up in Explorer, use our quick guide to fix the problem.
Use the comments section below to let us know if you run into any problems along the way. We can help you solve these problems as quickly as possible.
frequently asked questions
How do I display drive letters in Windows 10?
Showing or hiding drive letters in Windows 10 The easiest way to do this is to click the File menu in File Explorer and then click Options or Change Folder and Search Options. Step two: On the View tab of the Folder Options dialog box, look for the Show drive letters option.
How do I reserve a drive letter?
how to make a…
How can I prevent the drive letters from changing?
Windows Forum by en-us
Feedback,show drive letters windows 10,how to show drives in windows 10,showdrivelettersfirst,how do i show drives in file explorer