Do you sometimes notice that you cannot access the Internet after a Windows update, or that your Internet connection is interrupted? And you’ll see a frustrating yellow exclamation point above the Windows network connection icon. The operating system provides built-in troubleshooting, you can right-click on the network icon in the taskbar and select troubleshooting to automatically resolve the issue. Very few users report that Windows troubleshooting did not automatically detect the proxy settings on that network.
Disconnect from the Internet and launch My Network Diagnostic Tool which continues to give the following message: Windows cannot detect the proxy settings for this network automatically. I’ve already tried updating the network adapters, configuring the LAN settings in auto-discovery mode, and resetting TCP/IP, but the problem is still not resolved. Please help me: Users have reported on the Microsoft forum
What is a proxy server?
A proxy server acts as an intermediary between your computer and the Internet. When the proxy server is activated, when you visit a website, it connects to that website, receives the data and sends it back to you.
Also read : What is the difference between a VPN and a proxy and how do they work?
Windows 10 could not detect the network proxy settings
The error can be caused by a change in the proxy settings on the system, it can be due to an infection or a change in the system files and network settings, or corrupt files that change the network settings. Again, a virus infection can cause Windows 10 to fail to detect a proxy configuration error. Whatever caused the error that Windows could not automatically detect the network proxy server settings, apply the solutions listed below to resolve the issue.
- Before you begin, make sure your network connection is not affected by a firewall, VPN or security package.
- Run a full system scan with the latest antivirus software to detect and remove any viruses or malware that may cause or modify the proxy server settings.
- Check the date and time on the system and make sure they are set correctly.
Restart the computer and router
This error is usually caused by incorrect settings on a computer. In most cases, a reboot of the computer and router will solve the problem.
- Turn off your router/network switch and turn off your computer.
- Wait at least 30 seconds and then turn the router and computer back on.
- Let’s open the web browser and see if the problem is solved.
If you have rebooted the computer and the router and the problem persists, apply the following solutions.
Check proxy server settings
In most cases, Windows could not automatically generate a proxy configuration error because users changed the proxy server settings for some reason.
- Press Windows + R, type inetcpl.cpl and ok to open the Internet properties,
- Click the Connection tab and then click the Local Area Network Settings button.
- If you are not using a proxy server to connect to the Internet, the following two boxes should not be checked.
- Use the script for automatic configuration;
- Use a proxy server for your local network.
- Disable all of these options except the Automatically detect settings option. Save the changes.
- If this doesn’t work, try disabling auto-detection as well.
In Windows 10, the proxy server settings can also be defined in Settings -> Network and Internet -> Proxy Server. Make sure everything here is turned off except the Auto Detect setting. As shown in the screenshot below:
alt=disable proxy of settings width=973 height=707 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/disable-proxy-from-settings.jpg data-ez= />
Configured to automatically obtain a DNS server address
Not only the proxy server settings, but also an incorrect IP address or DNS settings can cause this error. Many users report that changing and setting the IP address AND the DNS server address automatically helps to reconnect to the Internet.
- Press Windows + R, type ncpa.cpl, and press Enter.
- The Network Connections window will open, locate the active network card, right click on it and select Properties,
- Locate and select Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click Properties.
- In the next window, make sure you select both Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain a DNS server address automatically.
alt=Detect IP address automatically width=400 height=455 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/obtain-IP-address-automatically.jpg />
DNS Flash and TCP/IP Configuration Reset
This is another effective solution to the problem if it is due to corruption. Just open a command prompt as administrator and run the following command.
- Resetting the winsock grid
- restoring networks to ip networks
- ipconfig / Enable
- ipconfig / update
- ipconfig /flushdns
alt=Winsock reset command width=532 height=302 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/winsock-reset-command.jpg />
Then restart the computer to complete this action. Now check the network and internet connection recovery windows the next time you connect.
Network diagnostics with Windows running
Run the built-in network troubleshooter, which automatically detects and corrects the problems causing the error.
- Press Windows key + I to open the settings,
- Go to Network and Internet and click on Solve network problems,
- This will help detect and resolve issues that may be causing network and internet problems on your computer.
alt=Windows 10 network configuration width=1115 height=812 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Network-troubleshooter-Windows-10.jpg data-ez= />
Resetting the network (Windows 10 users only)
If nothing else works, a network reboot would probably help. This is the most likely solution to reinstall the network adapters and set the default settings for the network components and solve most network and Internet connection problems.
It is recommended to create a system restore point before performing a network reset.
- Press Windows + I to configure, click on Network and Internet.
- Then go to the Reset Network option.
- Click it, perform a reset and wait for the job to be done,
- The Windows 10 computer is then restarted. Check the following restored internet connection.
alt=network Reset width confirmation=757 height=474 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/network-Reset-confirm.jpg />
Also update the network drivers, replace the faulty network card if there is one. And run the system file check utility to check and make sure that corrupted system files are not causing any problems.
Did these solutions help, Windows could not detect proxy network settings automatically in Windows 10, 8.1, 7? Let us know which option worked for you.
Besides, the reading
3 different ways to disable proxy settings in Windows 10
DNS server no longer responding in Windows 10/8.1/7
Resolved: The proxy server is not responding in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7.
How to fix proxy error in connections error in windows 10,8.1,7
to report this message
frequently asked questions
How to fix Windows not automatically detecting proxy settings in Windows 10?
One of the easiest ways to correct a situation where Windows was unable to automatically detect a proxy configuration error is to reboot the network card. After rebooting the network adapter, the problem should be solved and your network connection should work again.
How can I restore my proxy settings in Windows 10?
Computers, operating systems…
How do I automatically detect proxy settings?
Open Google Chrome, click the Settings icon, and then click Settings. Select Under the Hood, then Change Proxy Settings….. Select Connections and LAN settings. Select Auto detection settings and press OK.
Feedback,network proxy settings windows 10,windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings” message,troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all of the issues found,network proxy settings windows 7,windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings 2020,windows could not detect this network’s proxy settings reddit,Privacy settings,How Search works,windows couldnot automatically detect this network proxy settings,how to fix the “windows cannot automatically detect this network’s proxy settings” error