Microsoft regularly releases updates for Windows with various security improvements and bug fixes. The company recently released cumulative update KB4598242 for devices running the latest versions of Windows 10 20H2 and 2004. This is part of the January 2021 update, which introduces security enhancements and fixes previous user-reported bugs. Microsoft always recommends installing Windows 10 updates right away to keep your Windows 10 PC up-to-date and healthy, which is usually the case. But unfortunately, some users complain that Windows Update failed to install some updates. Whether Windows Update KB4598242 download is suspended at 0% or 99%.
2021- 01 Cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based systems (KB4598242) – Error 0070″.
Windows Update could not be installed
In addition, several users report that they have successfully downloaded and installed the cumulative update KB4598242, and the next reboot shows that the latest update could not be installed with error codes 00f0900 and 0070005.
There can be many reasons for this problem, from internet connection to corrupt system files, problems with Windows update service, security software or VPN and many more.
Whatever the problem is that you can’t download and install, use the solutions below if you notice that Windows Update won’t install the updates or if the download is blocked.
Try reinstalling the Windowsupdate.
The first and most viable solution to Windows 10 Update installation problem is to restart your computer and check for Windows updates again.
Also, make sure you have a stable internet connection to download the windows from the Microsoft server,
Check and correct your computer’s date and time zone, and most importantly, disconnect from the VPN if it is configured on your computer.
Check that your system drive (the drive installed in Windows is the C: drive) has enough free space to download and install Windows updates on your computer.
Temporarily disable or remove a third-party antivirus program if it is installed on your computer to ensure that virus protection does not interfere with Windows Update.
Open the Windows Services Console with services.msc. Scroll down to find the Windows Update service, right click on it and select Restart.
Finally, check again for updates by following the instructions below.
- Press Windows + I to open the Settings program,
- Go to the Updates and Security section and click the Check for Updates button.
- The download and installation of the Windows update files from the Microsoft server will then begin.
- If Windows Update still does not start or the installation fails, follow these solutions.
Start window in clean start state
Restarting your computer may also help if third-party software causes conflicts when downloading and installing Windows updates. Here’s how:
- Press Windows + S, type msconfig and select the first result,
- This will open the System Preferences window, click on the Services tab,
- Select the Hide all Microsoft services check box and click Disable all.
alt=Hide all Microsoft services width=571 height=385 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Hide-all-Microsoft-services.jpg />
- Then click on the Run tab and click on Open Task Manager.
- Turn off all unnecessary services that take place there. Restart your computer and check for updates.
alt=Portable Startup Programs width=595 height=360 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Disable-Startup-programs.jpg />
Remove faulty update files
If disabling the security application and restarting does not solve the problem, Windows updates still cannot be installed or downloads are blocked. Then perform the following steps to clean the update files of errors that may be causing the problem.
- We first need to stop the Windows Update service,
- To do this, open a command prompt as administrator,
- Run the net stop net wuauserv command to stop the Windows Update service.
- Then enter the clear stop bits to stop the Smart Transfer service in the background.
Then go to the next place. C:WindowsSoftwareDistributionDownload
alt=remove corrupt update files width=759 height=413 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/delete-buggy-update-files.jpg />
- Delete everything in the folder, but do not delete the folder itself.
- To do this, press CTRL + A to select all and then the Delete key to delete the files.
- Use wuauserv’s network boot bits and network restart to restart previously stopped services.
Troubleshooting the WindowsUpdate
After removing the incorrect update files, simply run the Windows Diagnostics and Troubleshooting program to check and correct if there is another problem that is preventing Windows updates from being downloaded and installed.
- Press Windows + I to open the Windows 10 Setup program.
- Click Update and Troubleshoot, and then click Troubleshoot.
- Select Windows Update on the right and start the diagnostic program.
alt=Window update diagnostic width=881 height=526 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/windows-update-troubleshooter.jpg data-ez= />
Wait a few minutes and let Windows update the diagnostics and fix any problems. Then restart Windows and go to Settings -> Update and Security -> Windows Update and check for updates. I am sure this time Windows Update will install successfully without error or download of the blocked update.
Run DISM and check system files
If system files are corrupt or missing, various errors can occur, such as a failed Windows update or a crashed boot. Run the DISM health recovery command and the SFC utility, which prepares a Windows image and restores missing system files with the correct image.
- Open a command prompt as administrator,
- Enter the DISM health restore command: DISM / Online / Image cleaning / Health recovery
- Once the operation is complete, please order sfc /scannow
- Let the System File Checker find and fix the missing system files.
- And restart the window once the scan is 100% complete.
- And after that, check the Windows update again, hoping that no more errors will occur.
alt=DISM restore health and sfc utility command width=687 height=386 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/DISM-restore-health-and-sfc-utility-command.jpg />
Manually installing the Windowsupdate
If all the above solutions do not solve the problem, but Windows Update freezes at startup or does not install, then you need to install the Windows Updates manually. Visit the Windows 10 Update History website where you can view the logs of all Windows updates released so far.
Note the RD number of the last published update.
Now use the Windows Update Catalog website to find the update indicated by the KB number you noted. Download the update depending on whether 32bit = x86 or 64bit = x64.
(To date, KB4598229 (build 18363,1316) is the latest cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1909, KB4598242 (OS build 19041,746 and build 19042,746) is the latest update for Windows 10 version 20H2 and 2004.
A direct link to download these updates is available here. Open the downloaded file to install the update.
After installing the updates, simply restart your computer to apply the changes. Moreover, if you get stuck in the Windows update process during the Windows 10 1909 update process, just use the official media creation tool to update the Windows 10 1909 version without any errors or problems.
Did the above solution solve the Windows Update installation problem? Give us your feedback in the comments below. Besides, reading
alt=Ezoic data-ezsrc=http://server.digimetriq.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/No-Audio-Output-Device-Is-Installed-Windows-10-version-20H2.png /> report this ad.
windows 10 update failed to install 1903, windows 10 updates won’t install, windows 10 update problems 2020, windows 10 won’t install from usb, windows update troubleshooter, 0x800f0922, windows 10 update not downloading, windows 10 update download