Acne is an inflammatory skin condition triggered when your hair follicles are blocked with dead skin cells and oil. This often results in pimples, whiteheads, and spots on the shoulders, chest, upper arms, face, and back. Acne can affect people of all ages, but it is widespread among adolescents. If left untreated for extended periods, it can increase your risk of other devastating effects or even cause emotional distress. Fortunately, some reliable and effective treatments can eliminate your acne problems. Read on to learn everything about the possible treatment solutions for acne Manteca.
What are The Different Types of Acne?
Below are some of the different forms of acne:
- Pustules. These are pimples containing pus. They look like whiteheads but are enclosed with red rings.
- Whiteheads. These are bumps that become closed by dead skin and oil.
- Nodules. These are solid pimples that form deep in your skin layers and are usually painful.
- Blackheads. These are open bumps on your skin that are filled with dead skin and excess oil.
- Fungal acne (pityrosporum folliculitis). These are caused by excessive yeast that develops in the hair follicles. They are usually itchy and inflamed.
- Cysts. These are pus-filled pimples.
- Papules. These are pink or small red bumps that become inflamed.
What are The Causes of Acne?
Although medical experts still do not know the reason why some people develop acne and others do not, the following are some of the known risk factors for developing acne:
- Cigarette smoking
- Hormonal changes due to puberty or pregnancy
- Poor sleep
- Beauty products with high oil content
- Endocrine conditions such as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- A family history of acne
- Anticonvulsants, some types of hormonal birth control, steroids, and other certain medications
Diagnosis and Treatment
Acne is usually diagnosed during a skin examination. Your healthcare provider may ask you about your family medical history of acne or if you are experiencing any stress. Women and teenage girls may also be asked about their menstrual cycles, which can also be a risk factor. Your practitioner will recommend a suitable acne treatment depending on the severity of your acne, your lifestyle, and your skin type. Some of the possible acne treatments include:
- Retinoids. Vitamin A derivatives effectively clean whiteheads, blackheads, and open clogged pores.
- Benzoyl peroxide. This is a face wash or gel that kills surface bacteria causing acne.
- Antibiotic creams. This helps open clogged pores.
- Salicylic acid. It helps eliminate the top layer of damaged skin and eliminate dead skin cells.
- Antibiotics. Such as doxycycline, which helps treat mild to severe acne.
Acne can pose a serious health risk if left untreated for a long time. It can also affect your self-confidence and self-esteem. At LUX Dermatology, the skilled medical team provides a wide range of conservative treatments that offer long-lasting solutions to acne problems. Get started today by scheduling a consultation online or visiting our dermatologist offices at Hanford, Porterville, Santa Barbara, Las Vegas, Visalia, and Manteca, California.