This is a relatively simple process, but you need to find the right converter online. There are a lot of free converters on the internet, so try one.
5. Use command line
Depending on the user, you can open .hlp files on your computer by simply executing a few commands at the command prompt. First copy the file winhlp32.exe from the Windows XP computer.
Remember that if you are using the 32-bit version of Windows 10, you need to copy the file from the 32-bit version of XP. The same goes for 64-bit versions.
If you copy the file winhlp32.exe from a 32-bit version of Windows XP to a 64-bit version of Windows 10, this procedure may not work.
The process itself is somewhat complicated, so follow the instructions. Follow the steps below to solve this problem:
- Create a TEMP folder on disk D. The folder location will be D:TEMP.
- Now copy winhelp32.exe to the D:TEMP directory.
- Open the notepad and paste the following lines:
- @echo de
- Setting crt depth=%CD%
- takeown /f %windir%winhlp32.exe >null
- icacls %windir%winhlp32.exe /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F >null
- copy /y %crt depth%winhlp32.exe %windir%
- icacls %windir%winhlp32.exe /setowner NT ServiceTrustedInstaller >null
- Echo. It’s done.
- echo Press any key to exit
- Break > Zero
- Now click File > Save As.
- Set the Save as type option for all files. Enter the desired filename as Win10-Hlp32-Fix.cmd. Select D:TEMP as the location and click Save.
- You must now run the command prompt as administrator. To do this, press the Windows + X keys to open the Win + X menu and select the command prompt (Admin). If the command line is not available, PowerShell (Admin) can be used instead.
- When the command line starts, switch to the D:TEMP directory and execute it: Win10-Hlp32-Fix.cmd If you are not familiar with the command line, you should be able to change directories with the command cd.
After running Win10-Hlp32-Fix.cmd, the problem should be solved and you should be able to view the .hlp files on your computer. This is an advanced solution, so read and follow the instructions carefully.
Run a scan of the PC with the Restoro Repair Tool to find errors that cause security problems and delays. Once the scan is complete, the damaged files will be replaced with new Windows files and components.
Disclaimer : You’ll have to switch to a paid plan to help.
Again, note that you will need a 32-bit version of Windows XP if you are using the 32-bit version of Windows 10. The same goes for the 64-bit version.
7. Drag the desired file to winhlp32.exe.
In order to view the .hlp file under Windows 10, of course, according to the users, you must copy the winhlp32.exe file from Windows XP.
However, you may also need to change the security permissions and replace some system files.
According to users, you can avoid all these problems by simply finding the .hlp file you want to open and dragging it to winhlp32.exe.
This automatically opens the .hlp file without having to change your security rights and allows you to view the content.
8. download winhlp32.exe from the Microsoftwebsite
Microsoft decided to remove winhlp32.exe from Windows Vista because it did not meet security standards and Vista did not integrate this file into Windows.
But you can always download it directly from the Microsoft website if you want.
Follow this link to download winhlp32.exe. You can then open .hlp files with this application.
Don’t forget that this version is for Windows 8, but you should also be able to use it on Windows 10.
9. Download the Windows 8.1 update and unzip thefile.
It is an advanced solution, but works according to the wishes of the user. This solution is highly dependent on the command prompt, so make sure you enter the required commands correctly.
If you are not familiar with the command line, you can skip this solution or read a short tutorial to better understand how the command line works.
To solve the problem with .hlp files, do the following:
- Download the Windows 8.1 update file.
- Execute the command line as administrator.
- When the command line starts, execute the following commands:
- MD ContentMSU
- Deployment of Windows8.1-KB917607-x64.msu /E:* .ContentMSU
- md ContentCAB
- Deployment of Windows8.1-KB917607-x64.cab /E:* .ContentCAB
- cd ContentsCAB
- dir amd64*en-*.
- cd amd64_microsoft-windows-winhstb.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.20470_en-us_1ab8cd412c1028d0
- sink /f %SystemRout%en-uswinhlp32.exe.mui
- icacls %SystemRoot%en-uswinhlp32.exe.mui /grant %username%:F
- Ren %SystemRout%en-uswinhlp32.exe.mui winhlp32.exe.mui.w10
- copy winhlp32.exe.mui %SystemRoot%en-uswinhlp32.exe.mui
- sink /f %SystemRout%winhlp32.exe
- icacls %SystemRoot%winhlp32.exe /grant %username%:F
- ren %SystemRoot%winhlp32.exe winhlp32.exe.w10
- dir *.exe /s
- cd amd64_microsoft-windows-winhstb_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.20470_none_1a54d9f2f676f6c2
- copy winhlp32.exe %SystemRoot%winhlp32.exe
You can then run the .hlp files on your computer. Note that this solution is quite advanced, and that if you are not careful, you can mess up your Windows installation.
Note that this solution only works with the English version of Windows 10. So if you use a different version, you need to replace en-us with the correct command line parameters according to your version.
Windows 10 does not support opening .hlp files, but if you have an older application that still uses these files, you can try to bypass this limitation with one of our solutions.
We’d like to know what you think, so feel free to give us your comments in the corresponding section below.
FAQ: More information about
- Which program can open HLP files?
You can view HLP files using Windows Help Viewer, but this program is not supported by Windows 10, see our manual for opening .hlp files in Windows 10.
- How to convert files to mp3?
To convert a video into an audio file, you need good software. Please consult our list of the best mp4 to mp3 converters for Windows 10.
- How do you convert a file to JPEG?
If you want to convert a screenshot or png document to JPEG, you can easily do so using our handy guide for converting files to JPEG.
Do you still have a problem? Fix them with these tools:
This software corrects common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware errors, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance.
Troubleshoot PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download this much appreciated PC recovery tool from TrustPilot.com (you can download it from this page).
- Click the Start scan button to scan for Windows issues that may cause PC problems.
- Click on Restore All to solve problems related to patented technologies (exclusive discount for our readers).
- Restoro has been downloaded by 0 players this month.
Editor’s comments : This article was originally published in August 2016 and revised and updated in January 2021 for timeliness, accuracy and completeness.
hlp to pdf,kb917607 windows 10,winhelp windows 10,file viewer plus,7zip,winhlp64 exe windows 10,windows 10 windows help format,winhlp32 windows x86 x64 komeil cab,windows 8.1 hlp files,windows update kb917607,winhlp32. do we have to go through this again,winhelp for windows 10,convert hlp to pdf,winhlp32. 9009 error,winhelp decompiler,windows10 hlp,hlpdecogui,winhlp32.exe for windows 7,winhlp32.exe windows 10,windows help file extension,windows8 rt kb917607-x86 msu,windows8 1 kb917607-x64,hlp file viewer,winhlp32.exe windows 10 download,winhlp32. win7,windows 10 help files,exe reader for windows 7,winhlp32.exe for windows 10,winhlp32.exe download,windows help for windows 10,open hlp file windows 7